Network Function Virtualization (NFV) follows Software Defined Networking (SDN) solving service delivery problems by leveraging the economics of software development over hardware life-cycles and Moore’s law.
- Reduce CAPEX/OPEX (Craig Moffet insight)
- Reduce time-to-market (Stu Elby insight)
- Improved ROI
- Greater flexibility to scale up, scale down or evolve services
- Openness to the virtual appliance market and pure software entrants
- Opportunities to trial and deploy new innovative services
ETSI creates standards initiative to even playing field.
Early adopters evangelize challenges of current models.
Obvious implications for OpenFlow but may extend to other standards initiatives: